Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Institut für Biologie

FAQ - Application for Master's Programs at IfB

Frequently asked questions on the application for a Master's program at the Institute of Biology for prospective international students.



How is the study program structured?


You can find information on the Profile and Structure of each Master's program on our homepage, see "Studiengänge am Institut für Biologie".


How do I apply?


Depending on the legal origin of your admission qualification, you apply either exclusively via uni-assist or directly at the HU online application portal. Before your application at HU, please acquaint yourself with the application forms and procedures, the application period (deadline) and the admission requirements (see "What are the admission requirements?"). 

Degree-seeking prospective international students with appropriate educational qualifications are offered initial counseling at HU International - Initial Counseling.


When does the application period begin, and what is the deadline?


For the application time frame, please consult the Academic calendars and deadlines website (refer to Master of Science, non-restricted). Please regard, that the deadline may differ depending on the application procedure (uni-assist or HU application portal).


Is it possible to apply for the summer term?


Regularly, students enter the Master's programs in the winter term. An entry in the summer term is not intended, since in this case, the exemplary study plan does not apply to the Program, and studies are likely to be prolonged. 


Can I hand in documents after the deadline has passed?


No. The application deadline is a cut-off date. That means any documents provided after the application deadline cannot be considered.


What are the admission requirements?


You have to meet general and specific admission requirements to apply for a Master's program at IfB. 

The general requirement for admissionis a first academic degree obtained in a course of study with a minimum length of three years in a biological field; usually, a bachelor's degree of at least 180 ECTS credits or equivalent.

At HU, the specific admission requirements are called "ZZR" (Zugangs- und Zulassungsregeln) and can be found at Master's degrees. Since the ZZR is in German, an English summary of the requirements is available at each Master's Programs overview. Please consult "Admission Requirements and Application Procedures" for a list of subject-specific admission requirements and the self-assessment forms.


Do I need knowledge of German?


The language of instruction is English (C1-level, CEFR). German language skills are not required to be admitted to the Master's Programs at IfB. 

However, international students may advance their understanding of German to make life easier as some documents are only available in German. For international students, graduate students and HU employees, the HU language centre offers German language courses.


When does the Teaching begin?


The winter-term lecture period starts in mid-October. Students can find the exact date on the Academic calendars and deadlines page. 


Are there any tuition or semester fees?


There are no tuition fees. However, students need to pay standard fees and dues of about 300€ each semester, including a Berlin's public transport system ticket. A breakdown of the standard fees and dues is available at HU International - fees and dues.


How can I find a dormitory?


The Berlin Studierendenwerk helps in finding affordable rooms or apartments for your study stay in Berlin.


How can I get a scholarship?


Unfortunately, we can't arrange a scholarship for you. Prospective students can find information about scholarships in Germany in the database of the DAAD.


Who can I contact if I have further questions?


Degree-seeking prospective international students with appropriate educational qualifications are offered initial counseling on the application procedure, courses of study, access to courses and admission requirements at HU International - Initial Counseling.

Once your application is completed, all inquiries about the application process, admission and enrollment are processed at the Admission Office for International Students.


Where can I find general information for international students?


An online guide for international students is available at HU-International.